Monday, October 25, 2010

For my cousin...

If you knew my cousin, you'd know that she's one of the most vibrant people alive. Always with a funny story (usually a hysterical story!) or a joke. She's having a hard time right now, and I want her to know that I'm keeping her in my thoughts. So this one, Jess, is for you!
I wanted this lovely digi (from A Day for Daisies) to look like you were seeing her through the trees. And since the trees that I have didn't look right, I used this fabulous background stamp from Hero Arts.
First I printed the digi on regular cardstock, but when that proved to be difficult to work with I figured out how to print on a small piece of watercolor paper. Once that was printed (and dried overnight) I started painting it with a water brush and some Distress Ink. First I coated it with Stormy Skies - being careful not to get water/ink inside the digi - then I went over the bottom portion with Chipped Sapphire. It was an accident that I pulled the Chipped Sapphire up in a circular motion - but I thought it looked like those nights when you can see a sliver of the moon and a faint impression of the whole thing.
The digi itself was colored using pencils on her hair (no OMS, I didn't know how well it would work on w/c paper & didn't want to try it with this one), a mix of red and white perfect pearls on her wings, silver pen on her dress and white smooch over the moon.
The background image was stamped on regular cardstock (several times - I kept smudging it!) with black VersaFine. I cut the digi image out using a nestie, then placed over the stamped background where I wanted it to be and stamped again (so you could see the plants over the moon). Then I used a light touch with a pencil and traced around the circle before moving it. I used the foam pads with the same colors of Distress ink to color the main panel, then set it aside to dry.
Once dry, I cut the hole in the main panel and edged it with the same silver pen I used on her dress. Used the corner chomper on the corners and stamped the sentiment in Platinum Planet (Brilliance). (oh, and added the tiniest bit of Dusty Concord to the bottom edge - just cause I could!) Finally, I centered the digi image, popped up the main panel, mounted the whole shebang on a black base and Voila!
(in reality, I had to do the main panel at least four times and the digi at least as many to get a mostly smudge free card. this actually took me almost a week!) (at least I love it, right?!)
Thanks for dropping by!


3 comments:

Jill said...

WOW! This is so stunning! Love the blues and your coloring is out of this world! AND what a fabulous and creative combo of stamps! HUGS!

Angelnorth said...

Beautiful card! Love the effect you achieved with combining the digi and the background stamp. You can use OMS to blend Prismas on watercolour paper, by the way (you can see one I did here if a visual helps, it's the second ATC in the post, the one with the apples). Thanks for stopping by on my blog earlier, glad you liked the poppies!

lauren bergold said...

♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥!!!!!!!!!! (i think i might be SPEECHLESS!!! alert the media!!!!!!!!!!!) (holy mackeral, woman!!!!!!!) ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥ ♥WOW♥