Monday, May 10, 2010

Something you'd expect, and something you wouldn't!

Hello!
I hope you all had a fabulous Mother's Day! I had a lovely weekend in honor of the day. First DH & my son took me to the stamp show that was about an hour from here. It was much smaller than it had been back in the day, but I still managed to get some great goodies. After the show (the boys went to the Lego store while I was occupied) we all went to dinner at my favorite mexican restaurant. Yum! Saturday was a not so great day for child behavior, but we did try out a new recipe - Pad Thai from the Six O'clock Scramble. I've been wondering if their service would be worth it, and I can say that the Pad Thai recipe was delish. On Mother's Day DH & I went to have brunch at the cheese shop then took some time in the afternoon to go to the park. Oh, it was a fun (and food!) filled weekend! :)
Now on to the stamping!
This first card doesn't have much stamping. Yup, this would be the thing you weren't expecting. I just fell in love with the springy colors of Basic Grey's Kioshi line and bought a few pieces. I loved that little bird on the sticker sheet and felt like he needed to be front and center. :)
I used two different patterns from the line and some of the card stock stickers. The branch was supposed to be a flower stem but I liked it better as a branch. You can't tell at all from the picture (the light isn't very good today) but there are lots of glittery accents over the whole thing. All of the flowers (even *in* the bird), the branch, the leaves and even the dragonfly are glimmery. Most of the glimmer was added with Spica pen except the dragonfly which was attacked with Mica Magic reinker. Can you tell that the top piece of card stock was popped up to frame the circle window? No? Told you the light was iffy today!
This second card is more my usual style. The stamp is a digital stamp from The Stamping Boutique. Don't you just *love* it? I printed the image on regular white card stock and colored it with colored pencils. The edges were distressed with Distress Inks in Weathered Wood and Stormy Sky, then the edges were painted with some Shimmer mist (yes, with a teeny tiny paint brush!) Again, since the light is so iffy, you can't tell that I used a glitter pen over all of the little stars. You'll just have to trust me! I really wanted the background flowers to flow up and over the edges of the main image, but couldn't figure out a good way to do it without making the inside look like it was gone over with a cheese grater. You might be able to tell if you look very closely that the metal tags say 'Believe' and 'Magic'. I'm pretty sure that these tags came in a bunch of Christmas themed tags about a million years ago. They seemed to fit this theme equally well!
Thanks for dropping by!


2 comments:

Etha said...

amazing cards!! love that basic grey, will have to check it out :)

lauren bergold said...

ok, that's probably the BEST kioshi card EVER...and i've seen some pretty good ones! LOVE THAT!

and then the stampy one fills me with amazement and awe... & ok a teeeeeny bit of envy...but not tooooooo much b/c i know you have WORKED AND PRACTICED really hard to get such perfectly awesome inky effects!!! but WOW! that BLENDING and feathering of the ink ROCKS!!! ok, the whole card rocks: the teeny dangly tags...the ribbon...the tone-on-tone stamping just in the one corner of the card base. yeah. WOW!

m'ija lo tienes!!! ♥♥♥

(ok, i think my grammer & verb tense is waaaaay off, but for a minute there i *thought* i knew how to say, "you have GOT IT, girl!" en espanol. i should know better than to attempt spanish before noon. i barely speak ENGLISH in the morning!!!) :) :) :)