Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Charcoal look

Just a quick post tonight while I'm still awake! :) While I was spending time (oodles of time!) over on Pintrest I saw something that really caught my eye. It was a video tutorial about using a black and a white pencil over kraft paper with OMS to mimic the look of a charcoal drawing. How awesome is that? So, I looked through my file of digis (printed some time ago) and decided that Poppy from Crafts and Me would be perfect to try this out. I think I got a little heavy handed, but practice will make me better at it (this was my first attempt). Don't be afraid to try it!

So after I colored her according to the video I cut her out with a nestie using the Out of the Box method I linked to in the last post.  Since the square die wasn't working well I trimmed off two of the sides to make it fit better and added the sentiment stamp to balance the right side.  This was layered over two pieces of black card stock that was punched with a Martha Stewart punch then over another nestie shape (a TJ technique) colored with Distress Ink.
The final layer isn't a layer at all - actually it's a line drawn in black pen with black pencil right up next to it that I blended outward with OMS to give it depth.  After rounding the corners and adding some white ribbon it was ready to go. :)
I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving filled with the best food, friends & family, and thankfulness that defines your day together!
Thanks for dropping by!

4 comments:

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Oh Mari, she's breathtakingly lovely. U think you got the charcoal technique 110% right. And the layout is amazing too! Happy weekend. Hugs, oxo mel

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Love love love it!! This card is totally stunning Mari. The colouring is perfection - I have tried Copics on Kraft card in the past, but this black and white technique is awesome, and thanks for sharing the tutorial details. You've really nailed the Out of the Box cutting technique too.

Lovely to hear from you today - I hope all is well with you and yours, and I wish you all the best for 2012.
Sylvia xx

Elizabeth Allan said...

Mari I can't stop looking at this.... the coloring is stunning and the way you layered the design is eye-catching!

Erum Tasneem said...

Mari. This. Is. Gorgeous!
AWESOME. Thanks for the inspiration, I gotta try pencil shading on kraft too! This looks absolutely breathtaking.