Monday, March 14, 2011

C & M fairy again, and a revision

After posting my last card I realized that I wasn't happy with the bright blue butterfly. Unhappy enough to actually go back and change it (which is something I *rarely* do).
Well, here:
I wasn't entirely sure of the color or size so I changed them both. This is actually from the same Martha Stewart punch - it's just the larger size. I punched it from the same kraft cardstock as the image panel, stamped it with a Basic Grey flourish in Colorbox white ink before gluing it down in place of the original. I'm *still* not sure that it's the best thing for that spot. I do like it much better than the original blue one. Enough that I'm willing to leave it alone now. How about you? Would you leave it alone? :)










Now for the new card. Strangely enough, it uses the same digital stamp from Crafts and Me, in the exact same size, on a background of kraft and brown cardstock. I also used the same brown pencil, a white pencil, white Colorbox ink and flourishes from Basic Grey. It looks entirely different though! :)
For this card I used the Out of the Box TJ technique to let her wing hang over the side of the nestie die cut. I outlined the fairy in white pencil and did all of the interior coloring with one brown pencil. Yes, *one*!
The next layer is stamped with the Basic Grey flourishes (several from the set) in white ink. I used a Martha Stewart edge punch to mimic the flower that the fairy is holding. That piece is layered over a piece of dark brown cardstock that was also punched with the MS flower edge to give it some depth. I ran some thread around those two layers with a few simple beads for interest. I really wanted to add a sentiment, but just couldn't find one that fit the mood. *sigh*
Finally I stamped the same flourishes on the base card using Antique Linen Distress Ink. I also used the SU! ticket corner punch on the base to echo the fairy panel. You can't see it in the picture, but there is a bit of Spica pen around the layers and on her wings. Not much, but IRL it adds a subtle shine. *Love* that!
Thanks for dropping by!

7 comments:

lauren bergold said...

oh my gosh! miss mari! how is it possible i have missed SO MUCH?!?! (thank you in advance for not answering, "cause you're a disgrace, lauren!"...tho i deserve it, certainly!) in my defense, i have to say that as usual, you have made me want to DROP EVERYTHING right this second and get out inks, digistamps, real stamps, prismas, and now tiny BEADS...and just do every single thing YOU have done (or in my case, TRY to do!)!!! :)

♥♥♥WOW♥♥♥ both of these cards are amazing!!! and i have to say that when you said, "it's the same stamp on the same panel" i thought NO!!! and had to scroll up and down several times to make SURE, lol!!!!!! (ok, yeah, it IS the same...but WOW you've sure made them look distinctly different and yet equally FABBBBBBBBBB!) ♥♥♥

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Beautiful cards Mari, and I would agree that the Kraft butterfly looks much better than the blue one - it looks as if it "belongs" if you know what I mean! Love the adorable fairy image and the second card layout too. Great work!
x Sylvia x

Martha said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love this warm look of this brown and white card set. The beads on thread are such a perfect touch. Thank you for sharing how you achieved this look.

stampqueen said...

I just love all of these - great coloring skills!!!! I haven't done this in quite some time (with just one color and a neutral.....my art teacher in high school - a long time ago - taught us to do this technique to learn shading and I like to go back to it once in awhile ...I think tonight I will have to play!!!

Beth Norman said...

So beautiful. I love both your cards, and love how you coloured on top of Kraft. Awesome look.

Beate said...

Both cards look amazing!
Hugs and smiles

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Stunning! The colouring on Kraft. OulaLA!